Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Alcott Autumn: Blessed Banner

Then it was that Margaret, sitting alone with tears dropping often on her work, felt how rich she had been in things more precious than any luxuries money could buy in love, protection, peace, and health, the real blessings of life. 
-Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

We are so blessed. I have been trying a different kind of experiment this month. A few years ago, a church leader of ours challenged us to occasionally say a prayer that asked for nothing, but only expressed thanks. I have done that from time to time and it has been a great reminder for me of how truly blessed I am. This month, in honor of Thanksgiving, every night when we kneel down in our family prayer, I only thank a loving Heavenly Father for the many blessings He has bestowed on our family. At first, it was hard to not ask for blessings; particularly for people near us who might need them. But as I thanked Him for those loved ones, I knew that he was mindful of their needs and would pour out whatever blessings he had for them, and it was okay for me to just be thankful for having them in my life. He will take care of the rest.

I highly recommend trying this out from time to time :)


So as a reminder of how blessed we are in "The real blessings of life," I made a simple little banner to that effect. I printed the letters on 8.5X11 paper
 (Here are the image files if you'd like to make your own. Just remember the letters on the left are right side up and the ones on the right are upside down. This is so that you can reverse your triangles and get 4 to a page.)





(I printed on cream colored paper) And then I used some gold acrylic paint and just brushed the edges of the paper to give it an aged look. 

Then I hung it from a frame with jute string and the cutest mini clothespins ever! They are only $1.50 for a pack at Wal Mart in the craft section. 

And that is it. I am also thankful for kids that keep rounding up all our fall themed stuff and sticking it on this table. At least it's consistent. :)

Have a very blessed day!

3 comments:

  1. Love the idea of hanging that cute banner inside a picture frame! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a thankful prayer for....asking for nothing....just being thankful! The banner is beautiful, too!

    Have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for such a lovely post. I love the idea of a prayer expressing just thanks.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...